The International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) has announced the launch of the Tanker Safety Guide (Liquefied Gas), fourth edition. This comprehensive guide is the definitive industry best practice guidance for gas carrier operators and a carriage requirement under the national regulations of many flag States.
Revisions to the guide include emphasis on simplifying the human element processes on board to reduce the chance of root cause accidents attributed to human element, and new elements on bunkering and simultaneous operations, all reflecting changes in the latest edition of the International Safety Guide for Oil Tankers and Terminals (ISGOTT 6). It also includes an updated section on reliquification to incorporate new technologies.
All content included in this latest edition has been developed and reviewed by senior industry experts with direct experience in the field and has been presented in a user-friendly and modernised format, with a significant upgrade in the visual representation of technical information, including infographics and flow diagrams.
Gregor Stevens, nautical manager of the International Chamber of Shipping, commented:
“Safety is critical to gas carrier operators, and it is hoped that this revised guide will become the standard guideline on the safe operation of gas carriers and the terminals they serve.
“We are confident that the updated guide will contribute to the further improvement of the industry’s excellent safety record and are confident it will be a staple for users to remain at the forefront of current guidance.”
This guide has been written for:
● On-board deck and technical officers
● Those training or providing training in liquefied gas transportation
● Anyone engaged in the transportation of liquefied gas by sea
New in this edition of the guide:
● Alignment of the ship/shore safety checklist with ISGOTT 6
● Emphasis on simplifying the human element processes on board to reduce the chance of root cause accidents attributed to human element
● New elements on bunkering and simultaneous operations
● Expanded guidance on rollover, enclosed spaces, and mooring
● Updated section on reliquification to incorporate new technologies
● Useful and relevant annexes pulled into the main body of the guide for easy reference
For more information and to order the ICS Tanker Safety Guide (Liquefied Gas), fourth edition, please visit: http://publications.51q2.com/single-product.php?id=90